Sunday, November 14, 2010

Welcome Aboard

I've been thinking of starting this blog for a while. As I seem either unable or unwilling to sleep, tonight seems to be as good a time as any. I intend for this to be a dumping ground for the things that bounce around my head. I might even occasionally post some of my poetry here. Be advised: I am a strange person, so strange things bounce around my head. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Have you ever been so busy that you streamline your thoughts? Anything that's not essential gets pushed into the corner for review at a later date. I've caught myself doing this a lot in the past few weeks, which is quite unusual for me, Little Ms. Daydreamer. I have been so focused on what I have to get done and what time I have to do it in that I have no space for anything else. This caused problems for me last week when I was trying to write a song for my songwriting class. I had no mental energy left to be creative with. I found myself with nothing to write about, which doesn't usually happen. I guess I depend on my "superfluous" thoughts for my creativity. Since my life consists of school, work, and homework, I ended up writing about work. The resulting song is kinda funny, and I had fun writing it, but I know I can do better. I have done better. The perfectionist in me is not happy with it. The realist in me says I've done worse, and it was pretty good for the circumstances. I tend to smother my inner realist, though.

But there's no time to dwell on what is already done. I have a giant marketing plan project due on Wednesday. I'm having fun working on it. Yeah, that's right, I said fun. I think that when you have fun doing work for your classes, you know you've picked the right major. The only problem is it's taking a long time because there's a TON of work involved. I've also got quite a few other assignments due this week. I get a break next week for Thanksgiving, but I have to spend some of it getting caught up on things. The week after Thanksgiving I have a performance for the vocal ensemble I'm in, then it's full-tilt until the end of the semester. Songs, papers, and tests, oh my! I'll get it done. I just gotta remind myself to breathe every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment